Who did it?
Categories:

Who did it?

Pumpkin Doesn’t Seem Right

Our calendars now read October Bearcats, and to kickoff the month of Halloween, the Paw Press will be releasing a mystery. Each week a clue from a mystery will be published in this article giving you until Halloween to solve the riddle. The first one to guess who committed the crime and why it was committed will receive a prize!

Part One:

In a bookstore, you are looking for your next favorite novel. Upon reaching for the book, another hand reaches alongside yours. The owner of the hand is August Dutton and after a good conversation, the two of you become fast friends. One night while hanging out, you discover August’s natural talent for analysis when trying to decipher the name of an actor you forgot. Later in the night, you read a headline in the newspaper describing the murder of Lucy Brown and her daughter, Camille. Reading the headline aloud, you begin to wonder if August is just as good at solving a murder as a simple riddle. The clues are found as follows: around three a.m. neighbors hear shrieking and voices from the fourth flour (the same floor Lucy and Camille live on), the apartment is a mess when the police break in reporting a, “blood-smeared razor, locks of gray human hair, bags of money, and an opened safe,” there are traces of soot leading to the chimney where Camille is found, and Lucy is in the courtyard of the building with a cut on her throat. Oh, and two voices are heard. One voice is deep and French and the other is higher and Spanish. 

Part Two:

The 46,000 dollars Lucy just withdrew from the bank was in her apartment, causing the police to be highly suspicious of robbery as the main motive. Increasing the level of the crime, Camille was confirmed by the medical examiner to have died by choking whereas Lucy died from brunt force trauma. To make matters worse, the police have arrested Adam Le Bon, one of August’s good friends. The arrest peaks August’s interest in the case even more. August thinks the police are overlooking many of the specifics of the case, including the source of entry. He noted the type of windows in the apartment which open from the inside. The police formally believed they were shut for good. He noticed a nail bent in the window. No one thinks the murderer could enter from the windows, but August points out the possibility of leaping from the lightning rod outside onto the shutters which requires great agility. Lastly, the hair extracted from Lucy’s fingers was not human hair.

Any guesses can be put in the comment box. Come back next week for another clue! 

Donate to Walton-Verona High School News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Walton Verona High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.